Instagram is a social media platform that kind of came out of nowhere. Now with the update allowing users to create 15 second videos with any filter they want, Instagram is becoming a powerhouse social media network that marketers cannot ignore. Here are five basic things you need to do to leverage the benefits of Instagram in your brand marketing plan.
- Make content authentic and high quality. All photos you add to Instagram should look and be real. Instagram is an opportunity to let customers take a unique, behind the scenes look at your company. All photos should also inspire a reaction, such as interesting, attractive, memorable, engaging, or emotional.
- Content streams. Make sure to decide exactly what kind of content you are going to post and schedule it in a calendar. This can range from behind the scenes images, events your company attends or hosts, or close ups of products with beautiful filters. While some content should be snapped and posted in the moment, most of it should be carefully planned.
- Post often. When you make your posting calendar, make sure to post consistently and often. This will help keep your brand noticeable in streams and will entertain your followers a great deal more.
- Build relationships. Engage with your followers and thank them for liking photos or sharing photos they take of your brand on Instagram. You should also ask followers if you can share their content on your own social media channels. This can turn into a contest where you ask followers to post a beautiful picture concerning your brand and reward them by featuring the best on social media. You can have your followers vote for the best picture so that the poster can win a brand-related prize.
- Hashtags. Hashtags are a great way for people to find your brand and to join in on internet conversations. However, you need to only choose hashtags that are relevant to your brand and give more context to your updates. You also should come up with a hashtag that is unique to your brand and post it on all of your content. Soon your followers will use this hashtag in their own photos to spread brand awareness.
Have you started using Instagram in your marketing plan yet? Let me know what tricks or techniques you have used that were successful in the comments or on Twitter @HS_Writing!